Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Cross to Bridge the Great Divide

"There's a bridge to cross the great divide
A way was made to reach the other side
The mercy of the Father, cost His son
His life
His love is deep, His love is wide
There's a cross to bridge the great divide 
God is faithful
On my own I'm unable
He found me hopeless, alone and 
Sent a Savior
He's provided a path and promised
To guide us
Safely past all the sin that would divide us
His love delivers me.
The cross that cost my Lord His life
Has given me mine
There's a bridge to cross the great divide
There's a cross to bridge the great divide"--The Great Divide by Point of Grace



I can't help thinking about my multiple worlds. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it has been almost since my graduation, a time of many goodbyes. This time last year marked the beginning of the end of an era.

This year I finish my first year of college. The sheer amount of things that has happened in the last twelve months is overwhelming. From saying goodbyes to processing life events, it's been chaotic.

The other night I met with a group of friends. As they talked about going "home" and seeing their friends, I couldn't help but start to tear up. Okay, okay, you got me, I all out started crying. Because I am not going "home". My friends are scattered throughout the world. 

But I'm not feeling sad about it anymore.

Why??

Because in Christ we are ALWAYS connected. Tonight I got to talk with a great friend and mentor, whose voice I have not heard in over a year. It was wonderful to remember our long talks and to discover that though we have not been in great contact, we can pick up where we left off. Through Christ, we can stay in spiritual contact. I love my friends, and they know that. We may be separated, but they never have to question that.


Christ did not only die to bring healing between us and God, He came to bring healing within our world. I personally can't imagine a world where I cannot pray for my friends and know that someone will be watching out for them.

Do I grieve what I have lost? Yes. Have I lost anything permanently? No. Because I know that some day we all will cross that great divide and hang around a heavenly coffee shop with Jesus and talk like we never missed a day of each other's lives.

And that's what gets me out of bed in the mornings

No comments:

Post a Comment