Sunday, November 24, 2013

Humbled

These are the lyrics to one of my favorite songs. I'll explain why.

"Billy made a promise but didn't end though
Carrie had a dream but she threw it out the window
Kevin met a nice girl who broke his heart and
His friends never told him but they knew it from the start and...

These are the things we go through
Let's take control and be ourselves
Let's not waste time wondering about
How we're gonna make it out

Wake up everyone around you
Let's rock until the clock strikes two
Stand up for what you believe and shout to
Here's another song from the youth that surround you

Kyle's parents split up, he thinks it's his fault
Little does he know that the time they're in was difficult
Andrea she left home, said she had enough
All she really wanted was somebody else there to love

She's all alone again, it's the same old argument
And she needs a helping hand to help her find the truth

These are the things we go through
Let's take control and be ourselves
Let's not waste time wondering about
How we're gonna make it out

Wake up everyone around you
Lets rock until the clock strikes two
Stand up for what you believe and shout to
Here's another song from the youth that surround you

Save me I'm all alone as I'm coming to the surface
Tell me I've got to know what is my meaning and my purpose
Show me I'm far from home lost with no sense of direction
Take me to Your throne"
This was one of my favorite songs when I was a youth--when I was lost and confused. It always reminded me that I was not alone because all of the other kids my age were dealing with the same things, just in different ways.
This is one of my favorite songs now because of my job. This song reminds me in one way or another of all of my youth. Each one with their private freak-outs and exhaustion and the way they work so hard, so hard just hoping that someone will notice them and that they will be told that they are valuable. All of that drama feels far behind me now.
But I am so humbled that I am able to work in teenagers' lives and help them figure out where they belong. I am able to help them find their voices, through the grace of Jesus Christ. The fact that at least a couple of them trust me and the fact that they accept my concern means the world to me.
It is painful to watch sometimes as these youth, who are only a couple of years younger than I am, struggle and fight to survive each day. Some of them are so busy and move from one thing to another so fast that I wonder how they have the energy to smile.
But a lot of the time they don't smile. They are fighting their way to the surface, and it's hurting them. American society tells them that they have to work harder, be thinner, be smarter, look prettier, all the while getting top grades and taking 4 AP classes. The pressure has to be killing them. But they won't admit to it.
But I am humbled that I get to watch as they embark on this journey. I get to be the one who gets the late night phone calls and texts when something has gone wrong. I am so humbled, and so blessed, to walk with them on their journeys of faith. And yes, we have all had growing pains, and trying to get them to see the importance of faith is difficult, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Someone said to me the other day that they didn't think this job was healthy for me. I would beg to differ... I get to watch God work miracles on a daily basis in these kids' lives. I am more grateful for that than for anything else in my life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment