Saturday, August 17, 2013

Anthropology of homesickness

So I'm sitting in my apartment when I start hearing some traditional music being played. I think it's coming from the street fair, so I ignore it. After a while it gets annoying so I turn up my music.

Then I realize it's coming from downstairs. Oh the joys of living in a church.

But there's something familiar about it... a language I don't quite understand, a couple words that I understand like "yesu".

And my body and mind start going like it's my normal Sunday morning. It's everything I can do to not go down and dance.

There is an anthropological term called "rapture". It is a term used to describe getting so totally caught up in something that you have an out of body experience (not the creepy walk towards the light kind, though). One of the main examples used is indigenous music. The rhythm, the beats, it swallows you up.

That's the way I would get sometimes listening to music in Uganda in church, or when I got to know some music during my stay with the Makah Indians in Neah Bay.

So someone restrain me before I go down in my mushanana with my drum.

No comments:

Post a Comment